Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Buy a Gift That Will Save Money All Year!!

Last Christmas I found one of the best money saving websites I've ever found.  It's called Restaurant.com.  A lot of my friends have expressed more than a little confusion at how this program works, so let me explain.

Restaurant.com is a service for restaurants.  By listing a restaurant with them these restaurants are able to get new customers to visit their location and receive feedback from them after they have visited.  Basically, you go to their website and put your zip code in the "Find A Restaurant And Save" box.  This will alert you to the restaurants participating in your area.  If you live near a large city you'll be surprised at how many restaurants use this service!  After choosing a restaurant you can purchase a "gift certificate" for that restaurant.  The certificates are usually anywhere from 70-80% off.  This means that a $25 gift certificate costs anywhere between $2-$3!!!!

Now, of course, there are special limitations.  Most $25 certificates require that you spend at least $35 before tip.  Many restaurants also specify that they will add the gratuity to your bill to ensure that your server gets tipped on the entire purchase before the certificate.  I'm sure all of you would do this anyway, right?
Occasionally there will be other restrictions such as no holidays, or weekends.  However, I've found this to be rare.

At Christmastime 2009, I purchased a Dinner of the Month Club Membership for my husband.  With this deal, I paid $36 for twelve $25 gift certificates and I received a $50 gift certificate as a bonus!  What a sweet deal.

Redeeming these certificates has been hassle-free as the restaurant management has to review their membership monthly.  I've never had a problem.  I do show the server my certificate when ordering.  A few days after we've dined using one of these certificates, I am e-mailed a short survey.  Honestly this survey takes less than 2 minutes.

Restaurant.com has saved us hundreds of dollars, and has allowed my husband and I to celebrate birthdays, and our anniversary by eating out, when we probably would not have been able to afford to.  Just the other night my husband, two teenagers and myself went out for a birthday dinner.  We went to a new pizza place in our neighborhood.  The food was excellent, atmosphere was great and service was superior!  We had a huge appetizer sampler plate, their largest Hawaiin pizza, and sodas.  The whole event cost us $18!!  Tip included!

Today, Restaurant.com  is offering an 80% off deal.  This means that each $25 certificate you purchase will cost you $2!!  Just enter the code GOBBLE at checkout for this amazing deal.  Stay tuned this Christmas season for more deals to come.

No comments: