Friday, December 17, 2010

Day 3 -Christmas Movie Marathon - Seven Christmas Movies for Christmas Week

Our family likes to watch Christmas movies together during the Christmas season.  Even if I'm too busy to sit down and actually pay attention, I like to hear my favorite movies playing in the background while I'm baking or wrapping presents.  So here's a list to get you through this last week of the season. Note: I only included family friendly movies.  If I were to include a list for older children and/or grown ups, I would include Family Man and A Christmas Story.  In addition, I will be posting a family discussion guide as an extra post daily in case some of you would like to use these movies as a catalyst to spur on Christ centered discussions with your children.



Night #1 - A feast for the eyes!  What a beautiful job this movie does in bringing the audience into a Dr. Seuss world!!  The costumes, makeup, hairstyles, and sets are AMAZING!  Jim Carrey does a remarkable job and makes me laugh every time.  What a great way to kick off the Christmas week.










Night #2 -
The beautifully illustrated book becomes a beautifully animated movie.  I love how this movie captures the "dreamy" feel of the book reminding the audience of that vivid moment between sleep and wakefulness.  Great movie to watch right before going to bed.








Night #3 - Elf is such a fun movie.  It's definitely my favorite Will Farrell movie, seeing that many of his movies are inappropriate for families, (and some adults too!).  It's always a big hit with children to see a grown up acting childlike.











Night #4 - I know it might sound silly, but I cry every time I watch this.  The simplicity of the presentation of the Christmas story is so beautiful.  Plus, I also get inspired by Charles Schulz's boldness to present the Gospel.










Night #5 - I am not a part of the "I hate Home Alone because it shows a disrespectful kid" group.  Isn't that the lesson he learns?  I think there are a lot of great lessons for children in this movie, and it still makes me laugh my head off!










Night #6 - I suppose if you have to you can get this movie in color for the kids.  I like it better in black and white.  This is my all time favorite movie - ever.  Love, love, love it.  My favorite line - "Worse, he's discouraged."  Sooo many discipleship opportunities here.









Day #7 - What better way to end your Christmas Eve than by watching this beautiful version of the nativity story?  I find that the reality and simplicity of this production is a miracle on film.  I like it almost as much as the Passion of Christ.  Beautiful way to focus your Christmas on the reason for the season.

No comments: